Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Preparing for Potty Training

Now that Isabella is 2 years old and definitely has a sense of what the potty is for, I'm preparing for this next milestone, potty training. I've been reading several different blogs and websites and found some good advice. I bought "Elmo's Potty Time" DVD and the book, "How to Potty Train Your Child in One Day". Bella loves the DVD, in fact it's the only one she has requested to watch in the past two days. I've started reading the book and the potties are out. We've actually had the potties (1 for upstairs and 1 for downstairs) for quite a while. When she was about 18 months old, she wanted to sit on the big potty after watching me (of course I rarely had a moment alone, even in the bathroom, until more recently), so we got her a potty and she actually went onesies and twosies in it. That was months ago, she hasn't gone in it again, although she sits on it every night before her bath and often times uses it as a chair to sit on and read books when I'm cleaning the bathroom. I didn't want to push her or rush her back then, but she's ready now! I've also been on the search for Monsters Inc. underpants, but haven't found them anywhere. I came up with an idea though, I found Monsters Inc. iron-ons on Ebay for $1.50 and I'm going to iron them on the front of some plain colored underpants. I'm sure Bella will be delighted when she sees them, since we've been shopping for them for about 2 months now. She told me she wanted Monster ones when were reading a book about the potty and getting underpants. I asked her what color underpants she wanted and she exclaimed "Monsters Inc.". So, that's why the search began. I figure having the ones she really wants would be good incentive for using the potty. Since then she has also fallen in love with Strawberry Shortcake and I've found fabric to turn into iron-ons to do the same thing. So, after we get back from our trip to CA, which is July 9th through the 14th, the Potty Party shall begin!

No comments: