Sunday, August 10, 2008

Blankie Love

Tonight while David and I were downstairs watching t.v. shortly after putting Bella to bed we heard a noise upstairs that sounded like a closet door sliding open. We paused the t.v., listened and heard it again. Then we heard some rustling sounds over the baby monitor. David went upstairs to Bella's room to check on her to find her sitting up in her bed and covering up with her blankies. I came upstairs and see that Bella has 3 blankies in her bed and figure out the noise we heard was her drawer under her bed sliding open, then closed after she got out her own blankies, then climbed back up into bed.

Rewind to before I kissed Bella goodnight and came downstairs: I got a blankie out of her drawer and covered her up. Bella feels the blankie, in the dark, and says, "This is the yellow one, I like the pink blankie." I tell her it is in fact a pink one, but it's the newer one from Aunt Cherie. She was okay with my answer and responded with her excited noise she has made since she was a tiny baby getting ready to nurse. She settles in, I leave the room.

For those of you who don't know already, Bella is REALLY INTO her blankies! When she sees one of her blankies, she'll run to it and say, "Oh blankie, I miss you, I love you" and hugs and kisses her blankie. Thanks to my sister, Cherie, we now have 8 of the same type of blanket: 5 pink, 1 yellow, and 2 purple, but Bella will only use the pink blankets. We have one in the car, one downstairs, one in bed, and a couple back ups, but Bella prefers the older blankies that have been washed several times. So, tonight she was convinced that I had given her the yellow blanket because she could tell by the feel that it was not worn in like her favorite pink blankies. Leave it to our little girl to climb out of bed, open her drawer of blankets, take out not one, but two blankets, throw them up on the bed over the bedrail, climb back up into bed and cover herself up without making a peep for one of us to come help her.

It seems like just yesterday that Isabella was a helpless tiny 6 pound newborn depending on us to meet her every need. Here she is a sweet little girl amazing us every day and meeting more and more of her needs on her own.

David and I are still cracking up right now as I'm typing this because Bella is so resourceful and polite. When I said something to her about having 3 blankies in her bed, she said "I like the pink ones not the yellow one, Mommy." In the morning light she'll see that it really was a pink blankie.

No comments: