Wednesday, June 11, 2008

My Little Reader

In the past couple of weeks Bella has become more and more fond of reading books. She's always liked her books, but it wasn't until recently that she really started spending time focused just on looking through her books, carefully examining the pictures on each and every page. If I'm busy around the house and I realize it's a little too quiet, I'll go check on her and most times I find her reading books. She'll read for a long time, like 30 minutes or so by herself, which I think is pretty good for a 2-year old. The best part is when I hide around the corner and listen to her telling the story the way we have read it to her, just by looking at what's happening in the pictures. She reads inside the house, outside the house, on the grass, in a chair, on the swing, on the slide, in the car, in her stroller, and even in the bathtub (she has books made for the bath)! Bella also asks us, "Read to me, please" very often. I love to hear her make that request and I have told myself that whenever possible I am going to drop whatever I'm doing so I can read a book to her. I really want to encourage her more and more with the books because I was never much of a reader and that didn't help me in college or when I applied to Med school. That's also why I've really made a point to buy more and more books and why we have a bookcase downstairs and one upstairs for her books. Isabella just amazes us, she remembers titles of books, characters' names in the books, specific things that happen in the story, and the main point of the story. That's some great comprehension, something that has always been more difficult for me. Looks like she's taking after Daddy and his love of reading and books. Yeah!!


Here she is standing on her favorite rock in the front yard reading a Winnie the Pooh book.

Reading to her baby on the slide!

No comments: